Air Race Classic 2011

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Day Two of Credentials

Credentials check-in is almost complete.  We have three teams left to check in that arrived late due to weather issues.  We're going to grab them tomorrow in between briefings, and then we'll be done!

Today was a bit slower than yesterday, since we got the bulk of the teams yesterday.  Again, no real issues with people's credentials.  There is one team that is having a rather large problem with the paperwork for their airplane.  They have gap seals for the ailerons and flaps (a speed modification) that was never recorded in the maintenance logbooks.  It's a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC), so it's supposed to be in there.  Ruh-roh.  They've contacted the previous owner, the shop, and on and on looking for this paperwork, but so far no dice.  If they don't get it straightened out, it looks like that airplane will be disqualified.  We'll see.

There was a hangar party this evening that was a good time.  There was a good jazz band, BBQ, and nice weather.  Jo and I attended and made friends with a team from New Mexico.  Super funny ladies!  They gave me New Mexico aeronautical charts to bring home (similar to the Ohio aeronautical charts).  I'll have to add them to Ohio and Florida!

I actually got to use my weather smarts today.  Some of the handicap check flight people need to take teams out tomorrow early, but weren't sure about the weather.  Word has gotten around that I can read weather charts, so I got approached about doing forecasts for the handicap flights.  I spent this evening trying to predict the fog for tomorrow morning and afternoon, when it was going to lift, where it was going to lift to, and thunderstorm probability.  We'll see how my forecast turns out.  If I screw up royally, I'll probably have about twenty or so type A ladies breaking down my door wanting to strangle me.  Oh well.

Lesson of the day: waxed airplanes are slippery.  I was showing some girl scouts our airplane, and was leaning against the strut like I usually do.  Well, Jo did a really, really, really nice job on the wax.  There were hardly any little bugs or grime to catch me, so I promptly slid down the strut and landed on my face in the grass, much to the amusement of the nine year old girl scouts (brownies?  I don't know . . .).  I was the most popular racer with the girl scouts after that.  They had great fun picking grass off of my clothes and out of my hair.  It's for the children!

No comments:

Post a Comment